Tuesday 15 July 2014

Tuesday

Day 15.

Back to work this afternoon. It's always a bit strange going back after a break. Hopefully it won't be too busy.

I had a slightly better sleep last night.  Headache has gone, thank God! But I still woke up a lot throughout the night and woke up feeling tired still. It doesn't help that DS wakes up so early. I got him to go back to sleep but once I've been awake I don't go back to sleep properly. I so envy people who are good sleepers!

I was in the supermarket the other day and the first thing I saw when I walked in were strawberries. I always associate strawberries with sparkling wine because this is the only time really that I eat them. And I felt a bit wistful and a bit sad if I'm honest. I thought to myself 'I guess this means that I won't get to enjoy strawberries in champagne ever again'. I tried not to think about it after that, but it got me thinking. What if I were to drink non-alcoholic champagne/sparkling wine? Would that be ok? Or would it give me a taste for wine and encourage me to drink alcohol again? Maybe it just wouldn't be the same without the 'kick' you get from the real stuff? I don't even really enjoy the taste of wine, especially the first glass. It's just that after that first glass you get past the taste and you kid yourself that you LOVE the taste of wine! Champagne on the other hand, especially with strawberries in it, is another story. I could drink that till the cows come home (and wake up with a shocking headache and hangover the next day! But you don't tend to think about that when you're downing the stuff!) So, I'd be interested in hearing what other people think about non-alcoholic wine and champagne. I do get sick of diet coke and water!

I saw my friend at school pickup yesterday afternoon and she asked me how Dry July is going. I said it was going fine and she made the comment 'you're almost half way!' I didn't tell her that I'm thinking of extending it beyond the end of July. I just didn't want to get into it then and there. But I also haven't talked about it too much with DH either. For all he knows once the month is up I'll be back to my old wine guzzling self! I'm not sure why I can't bring myself to talk about it. Maybe that would mean admitting that I have a real problem? Probably. It's something I'm going to have to really think about one of these days.

But now I have to get ready for work, so I'll leave it here. Have a great day everyone!

A x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angie, Go you.! Day 15 and you are doing so very well. It is interesting what you said about not liking the taste of wine so it is really just the effect! I don't like the taste of alcohol either but it does stop me from drinking it. Also interesting what you say about not talking to DH about maybe continuing on this journey. You don't have to. All you have to do is get through another sober day. You don't know what is going to happen tomorrow let alone in15 days time. My suggestion is that take it on a daily basis and don't plan or promise anything. To yourself or anyone else. You are going great guns girl. I am with you all of the way :)

    Cherie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Cherie. I think that's good advice, taking it one day at a time. I have always found opening up about my feelings really hard, but I'm hoping that as continue on this sober journey I'll start to overcome this. How are you going?

    ReplyDelete