Saturday 27 June 2015

A night out

I went out to dinner followed by a movie with a few girlfriends last night. I was looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.

You see, one of the girls is my friend C who kept offering me a drink at her son's birthday a few weeks ago, and I was dreading having her trying to get me to drink with her. But I was worrying for nothing. When I said I wasn't drinking she just said 'Oh, aren't you?!' but left it at that. My other friend, bless her, asked me if I was pregnant!! (I would love to be, but at my age it's not going to happen!) Isn't it funny there has to be a reason for not drinking. You can't just say I don't feel like it. I just laughed and said no, I'm not pregnant, and my not drinking wasn't mentioned again. Phew!!

The restaurant we went to was BYO so C bought a bottle of white with her. Our other friend G offered to buy another bottle as we passed a bottle shop. That's when I said I wouldn't be drinking so don't worry about me. (G is a 'normie' and enjoys a glass or two, how nice would that be?!) Anyway, she ended up buying another bottle but they only drank the one during dinner. Now, if I had been drinking it would have been a different story! I know C would have had more and would be really getting into it. She tones it right down when I'm not drinking. I was watching her and wondering if she wanted to have more, but I couldn't tell.  

I have to admit though, my friends drinking did make me wish I could drink too. Drink responsibly that is. I did for a second think, I don't have to do this, no one is making me. Stuff it! But I didn't. I want to do my 100 days.

And the problem of course, isn't having one or two drinks with dinner. It would wondering how many more I could have without it being obvious. It would be having more during the movie (it was one of those lovely old cinemas that allows alcohol) and one not being enough. So I would be edgy, wanting the movie to hurry up and end so I could go home and drink more. I wouldn't be fully present to enjoy the movie.

So as nice as having a few wines in the evening with my friends sounded, it wouldn't end there. And that's the problem. I have to play the tape to the end and remind myself how it ends.

Have a great weekend everyone.

A x


3 comments:

  1. Reminding yourself how it ends is a good strategy. I clearly remember how it all ended for me last weekend. How long I was hungover and tired and upset with myself. You did so great! I am so so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Angie,
    So true, and I have to do that still, and that's okay!
    You did great!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. God I can totally relate to that edgy feeling of wanting to get to the next place I can have a drink after I've had one. I don't think I ever had just one drink in my whole life...

    ReplyDelete