Friday 5 June 2015

My family's alcoholism stops with me

I was watching one of the morning shows on tv this today and there is a guy on one of them who gave up drinking a year ago. His father was the lead singer of a very well known Australian rock band who was renowned for his hard drinking and partying ways. So this guy, David, was on holiday with his wife and son and on the last day of their holiday he woke up with a bad hangover. His 3 and half year old son turned to his mum and said 'daddy isn't well'. This was a big wake up call for David so he decided to stop drinking. He said "My family's alcoholism stops with me". He said he couldn't stand by and watch alcohol and hangovers be normalised for the next generation. He also said "Was I an alcoholic? No. Did I have the propensity to become one? Yes, very much so." He went on to say that there is addiction on both sides of his family and that he was standing at the doorway of a very dark room.

This is how I feel. My father was an alcoholic and was never able to conquer his demons. He passed away all alone last year at the age of 69. My father-in-law was also an alcoholic and has been in recovery for over 30 years. One of my brothers is an alcoholic and really needs intervention if he is ever to have a normal life. I have my own problems with alcohol and my husband has issues of his own (not alcohol), so I worry that my son doesn't stand a chance. I want to be able to say that my family's alcoholism stops with me. I don't want my son to grow up thinking that it's normal to drink alcohol every night and that wine is a regular drink like water or diet coke. He already associates wine and champagne with me and I hate that. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the new generation grew up thinking that it's ok to not drink alcohol? That it's an absolutely acceptable way to live and that in fact, it is those that drink that are the exception, not the ones who don't. God, how I would love this.

Getting back to David, I look at him and wonder about him. I wonder if he struggled with his decision? If he has a demon on his shoulder whispering in his ear and telling him that it's ok to have just one or two. Or has it been easy? He looks so fit and healthy, has lost weight (not that he was big before) He just looks so well. I would love to be able to ask him how he is going. But he is a celebrity, and I haven't heard him mention it again. Maybe it wasn't a big deal to him. Maybe he just made a decision and that was it. I don't know.

Anyway, today is day 19. I'm still feeling really tired, but suspect my low iron has something to do with that. I was looking at the Living Sober website yesterday and must have left it open because hubby was looking at it and he asked me how many days it's been since I had a drink. I told him and he said "well done". I thought of going into it a bit more but it didn't feel like the right time. I will soon though.

We have been invited over to dinner at my youngest brother and his wife's place for dinner tomorrow night. I haven't decided what I will tell them yet. Maybe just that I'm having a break for now. I'll just play it by ear I think. I know my brother was very proud of me when I did Dry July and Ocsober last year (I haven't told him about my other sober stints though) Guess I will have to say something soon. We'll see.

I'm off to the shops soon. I've decided to treat myself to a manicure. As a little reward. Why not?

A x


12 comments:

  1. Hi Angie - you're sounding great today! Enjoy the manicure, you deserve it! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SM. I had a shellac manicure. Love them! A x

      Delete
  2. Thanks SM. I have to remind myself that treats are important. My manicure was lovely! A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Angie,
    Good post! Yay on the manicure!!
    I am going to treat myself to a new yoga outfit!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. A new yoga outfit sounds lovely. I really must try yoga! A x

      Delete
  4. I also worry about my eldest son he has alcoholism running through both sides of his family and at 12 I see traits of anxiety, depression and addictive behaviour in him already. I would love to be the one to show him another way, when I read this I even thought of showing him my blog in a couple of years, anything to stop what almost feels inevitable. Good luck with your meal, it's hard to know what to tell people you just have to go with whatever suits you at the time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't end up going over to my brother's because the little guy was sick. At 12, your son is at an age where he is more aware of what's going on around him. He must be so proud of you not drinking. A x

      Delete
    2. He hasn't really noticed. I've never discussed any thoughts of a problem with him as firstly I don't want him to throw it back in my face when he has a strop and don't want disapproval if I fail x

      Delete
  5. Angie I'm so glad I found your blog, and now I see on your sidebar, a whole lot of other related blogs! I had no idea there were so many of us struggling with this. I have tried many times to stop drinking, but this time it has to stick. Thank you for sharing your story and your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RDG,
      I felt the same when I found Mrs D's blog. It opened up a whole new world for me. Good luck with your journey. Do you have a blog?
      A x

      Delete
  6. Kids are so acutely aware. My daughter used to ask me not to drink wine because it made me sleepy. I was forever falling asleep on the couch in the evening. Sad.
    Plus, I was so unhappy. They obviously had to deal with that.

    But now they call me the zen, yoga mom. I am too peaceful for them. Lol
    But they love it.

    My Epson, who is now 12, has my anxiety. Being able to talk with him about how that feels physically and mentally has been so useful. I had never understood myself. Now I do.

    Yes. Best to stop it now. Before it becomes a bigger problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to hang on to this. 'Best to stop it now. Before it becomes a bigger problem'. I feel so much regret for the past but that shouldn't mean I just stay 'Stuff it, this is too hard' and mess up the future too. I have the power to make the future a better place. And that's what I am going to to do.
      Your children are so lucky to have you sober and at peace. I want to be like that too. Thanks Anne.
      A x

      Delete