Wednesday 21 January 2015

Challenges ahead

I found out yesterday that the 5 weeks long service leave I put in for in for has been approved. I am so excited! I have a whopping 17 weeks owing but in my industry it's not always easy to get leave when you want it, so 5 weeks is awesome!! OH has this time off also so we are going to go to Queensland for a couple of weeks. Ordinarily we go in October but we didn't get there last year as mum had had her operation and we were helping her with her recovery instead. So it's a long overdue holiday and we are really looking forward to it!

I'm a bit nervous though. How will I go not drinking? In years past OH would make a trip to a bottle shop and stock up on copious amounts of wine and champagne and beer and we would drink EVERY single night! It was ok though because we were on holidays! We would take it in turns sleeping in and on my morning of getting up early with Mr 8 I would get him his breakfast and then try and snooze on the couch for a few hours while he played. Then we would start our day at around lunch time.

I know it was way too much wine and incredibly unhealthy, but a part of me can't imagine having our bbq's by the pool of an evening without a few glasses of bubbly followed by wine in our hotel apartment late into the evening. I am going to have to be really strong and work on keeping sober in the lead up to this. I really really hope I can stay strong.

It's Australia Day on Monday so a long weekend. We are heading down to the beach to my inlaws beach house today after OH finishes work. Normally we would come back on Saturday night because I have to work on Sunday but I'm thinking of having a 'rest' day so we can stay a couple of more days. I've been down there before when I haven't been drinking. I think it was in October when I was doing Ocsober and went 6 weeks AF. So I know I can do it. It's summer now though so it might be a bit more of a challenge. So I am going to have to arm myself with some sober tools. I am reading a book called 'Why You Drink and How to Stop - Journey to Freedom' by Veronica Valli. It's really good, so I will take that with me and hopefully finish that. I have The Bubble Hour podcasts to listen too. And also Lucy Rocca's memoir to read. So hopefully I will be ok.

So, some good times ahead! But temptation as well. I hope I can stay strong and not give in to the evil voice in my head.

A x

4 comments:

  1. Hi Angie! Love your blog and we have the same day 1 😄. And a lot else in common. Just read about your holiday. You CAN do this and you will enjoy it so much more. Stay strong and hang in there. If you have not read Jason vales book about kicking the drink, you might like it along with your other titles. HIs message is very positive and affirming, I just finished it and found it very helpful. Hope things go well on your trip, keep posting 😃.

    Hugs,

    SR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SR, thanks for your comment. Congrats on day 18! It's good to know someone else is on the same journey as me. I have read Jason Vale's book and found it good. Unfortunately I didn't magically stop drinking at the end of it and whilst I didn't agree with all his ideas, I found a lot of it helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you get past the strangeness of it a sober vacation is fantastic. You will have so much more time, energy and interest in things. And your son will like it better, and if my own kids are any example.

    We are currently in florida doing Disney world and universal. They sell beer everywhere. It is sad to see some parents...knowing that I have been there.

    Enjoy your time off sober. Make new rituals. It is amazing.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. I know a sober holiday would be awesome. Unfortunately, we don't go away for several weeks so I have all this time to think about it and the more I think about it the harder I think it's going to be! Hope you're having a great time at Disney World, sounds like lots of fun! A x

      Delete