Saturday 10 January 2015

Day 7 and so happy to be here

Day 7 today and I'm so happy to be here. It is such a relief not to have to worry about wine. It feels wonderful going to bed at night knowing that I am not going to have a hangover in the morning. And the actual waking up with no hangover and not having any shame or guilt from the night before... it feels absolutely wonderful!

On Thursday I looked after my 7 year old niece and 5 year old nephew. When my brother asked me if I could look after them I was a bit apprehensive. It would be for the whole day and they would get dropped off early in the morning. But I needn't have worried., it was fine.  On the other hand, had I been drinking I would have been very resentful. I would have done it but I would have been really pissed off that I would not get my morning nap in. I would have been hungover and grumpy and not happy at all. I would be impatient with the kids and struggled through the day, counting down the hours till my sister-in-law arrived to pick them up. Instead, whilst I was tired from a poor sleep, I was otherwise fine and able to be really present for my niece and nephew. My son had a great time with his cousins and we all had a great day. Being sober makes such a difference and I am so glad to be here!

My friend and I took our boys to a play centre yesterday. She suggested it last week as we knew the weather wasn't going to be great and she offered to pick me up. When she said 10.30am I almost hesitated, but then remembered that I wasn't drinking anymore so it would be no problem getting up and ready and out the door at that time of the morning. When I was drinking I dreaded morning activities because I knew I would be hungover and tired and it was such hard work. I would do it for my son but I was resentful and seething inside that I couldn't sleep and hang out at home in my pjs until I was ready to face the day, usually at lunch time.

Being sober opens up a whole new world. And it's only early days! Imagine how wonderful it's going to be when I am further down the track and have more motivation and zest for life. It can only get better and I am so looking forward to that.

Have a great weekend everyone.

A x

1 comment: