Saturday 16 April 2016

I am so worried

I've spoken of my brother before, the one with the drinking problem. The alcoholic. It's funny, because I see him clearly as an alcoholic but just can't think of myself like that. I know I have a drinking problem, but I struggle to use that term for me. But it's just semantics really. I have a drinking problem and needed to stop. It doesn't really matter what I call it.

Anyway, by brother B had a hernia operation nearly two weeks ago. He told me he would go back to work after a few days, but I told him he would need longer than that. He said we'll see. I spoke to him last night and he told me he hasn't gone back yet and that work is okay about that. The problem is, I was talking to my oldest brother R recently (he lives close to B and sees him quite a bit) and he told me (in strict confidence, so not to tell B that I know) that he hasn't been to work in weeks. That the day he got out of hospital after his operation (it was a day case so he wasn't in overnight) he went home and started drinking. (R picked him up from the hospital and B went back to his place so he would have someone there if he needed help). Anyway, R told me that the next day B started drinking early in the day and ended up drinking about 15 or more beers!! It's like he hasn't even had an operation and he's continued to drink more than ever. And because he isn't working, he is drinking all day, every day. I was talking to R last night and we are really worried because he is going to lose his job. He is living off credit because he has no sick leave left and things are going to get even worse. R says he has already hit rock bottom but it hasn't stopped him drinking.


I was talking to R last night and I asked him if B knows he is in trouble. R said that he is fully aware but that he just drinks more to hide from the fact. When R tries to talk to him about it he says "what about you and A?" I said I don't know how he can compare himself to us, and R said that he does. That he thinks other people drink more than they do.

We are so, so worried about him. He also chain smokes and doesn't do any exercise. He is going to die young if he doesn't do something soon. He is single and has a 13 year old boy who he has 50/50 custody of, but he is not going to be able to keep that arrangement if he isn't careful. He will lose his flat and his job. He desperately needs help. R said he is going to talk to a guy he knows who is an AA counsellor, so hopefully he will give us some tips on what to do.

In a funny way, I compare myself to B. I think I am (was) not as bad as him. He is the real alcoholic. And I think I drank for longer because of this. But I WAS just as bad. I have a problem with drinking and that's all that matters. Whether you drink two glasses every night or a bottle or more, if you are powerless and it's making you miserable, you have a problem.

I told R last night that I know I drank too much which is why I gave it up nearly 5 months ago. This is the first time that I've told anyone that I've actually given it up, rather than just saying that I haven't had a drink for such and such a time. So in a way, that is progress for me.

I am so worried for my brother. He is killing himself. What can we do?

A x

11 comments:

  1. Oh Angie. Maybe tell him that you've quit? Maybe if he realises that you were concerned enough about yourself, HE will try and fix the problem? I think the AA counsellor is a good place to start. I'm not usually for "manipulating" people into doing things, but in this case, the potential loss of custody of his child should be held up as a reality to him. I hope you manage to get some good advice and a strategy. And I hope that you take care of yourself. You can't give from an empty cup xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern and helpful comment Jackie. Yes, I might tell him that I've quit and try and have a conversation with him. We will be catching up in a couple of weeks for our nephew's birthday so I will try it then. I will take care of myself, thanks Jackie. A x

      Delete
  2. You are a really good sister Angie. Gosh, this is a really tough one and I'm sorry that your family has to go through this. The Bubble Hour episode I listened to today - the stigma of alcohol - featured a woman whose friend did an intervention. I had no idea that those things still happened. It sounded like it was filled with so much love and support and it is what convinced this woman to get help. It's so very hard to watch people we love struggle. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ripley, yes it is a tough one. I have heard of the interventions that they do in America but I don't think it's something we do here, not that I've heard of anyway. I will try and talk to him about it soon. We are catching up in a couple of weeks. I love the Bubble Hour. There is so much good advice on there. A x

      Delete
  3. Sorry for your family troubles Angie.
    As WB said, the only thing I can think of is to tell him you've stopped drinking and suggest you do this together?
    Or share all the resources with him you have in your toolbelt and suggest he takes a look?
    I think though you know this has to come from him. In the same way our changes came from us. No-one else.
    Strength to you during this difficult time xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scous Mous. That's a good idea. I can tell him that I've quit and we can do this together. Not sure how he will take it but it's worth a shot. I have the Jason Vale book, and the Allen Carr one which I might take with me when we catch up in a couple of weeks. Who knows, he might listen. And if not, I will leave the books with him and tell him about the online world. A x

      Delete
  4. Thinking of you Angie. I know how you feel. We feel so powerless to help those we love when they are hell bent on self-destructing. I hope he sees some hope after his talk with you. xoxo Let us know. GGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Yes, that's how I feel; powerless. It's not a nice feeling. I hope and pray he will realise soon that he needs help. A x

      Delete
  5. Angie,
    When I first found out my dad had problems, (I still had not crossed the line myself), I didn't know how to help.
    I tried talking to him, and tried to get him to go to AA, but he insisted he didn't have a problem, and could moderate.
    I went to AlAnon for awhile, which helped give me some tools on how to help myself.
    There was nothing I could do until he wanted to get help. You can leave him the books, talk with him (when he is sober), but ultimately it's up to him.
    It's very hard.
    My father choose to keep drinking until he developed Parkinson's, then he was forced to cut way back.
    I hope your brother will choose to get help, but the most important thing is for you to keep your sobriety!
    xoxoxo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Wendy. It is so hard to know what to do. I am seeing him in a week and a half for our nephews birthday, so I might try and have a talk to him then. It depends how receptive he is though I guess. A x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you could see if he would go to a meeting with you?
    Perhaps feeling comraderie would help you both?

    Otherwise, your example of a good, alcohol free life will eventually catch his eye. And maybe he will realize just how much he is sacrificing to the bottle.

    You are a good sister.

    ReplyDelete