Thursday 23 June 2016

7 months

Can you believe it? I'm 7 months sober today!  I have to pinch myself to see if it's true and not just a dream.

Yes, me! The girl with zero self esteem and who doesn't know who she is yet. She is me. This SOBER girl!

I have a long way to go. I am nowhere near knowing who I am and want I really want in life. But I am on the path. I am on my way. And for that I am so very very grateful.

A funny thing happened today.

My little guy has been bugging me for a fitbit. Yes, you heard that right. A FITBIT!! Kids at school have started wearing them and they are the real deal. The $189 dollar real deal. But I refuse to be drawn in. One of little guys best friend got one for his 10th birthday and I swear he only uses it as a watch. Or maybe he does look at the steps too, I'm not sure but whatever. It's very expensive present for a FAD!

So of course I am mean for not even considering getting one.

When I was in the city last week for my meeting, I went to the Victorian Market and found a kids digital watch for $5, so I bought it. It was black and had a narrow watch face and band and I thought it looked pretty cool (until Mr A told me it was a girls watch!). My little guy happily wore it but was sure to tell me that it was only temporary until he got a proper one. I didn't say anything to that.

Anyway, yesterday my little guy was swinging his arm around in the bathroom and his watch hit the bathroom basin and the screen cracked and you can no longer see the time. So that was very short lived!

The next thing he wants is a Milo Champion wrist band, Apparently it tells the time AND counts steps and all that jazz. 'They sell them at Woolworths mum,' he tells me.  How much? I ask. $40 he says. So I think to myself that that is a lot more reasonable that the Fitbit price so I go looking for one in my local store. And of course they haven't got them any more. They were all sent back to the company when the promotion was over. Great I thought, just my luck!!

So I asked the lady in the supermarket if she could ring another store to see if they had any left, but that was a no go too. So she offered to ring the actual company that makes them to see if they were still available to the public. She took my number and told me she would get back to me.

So I pay for my things and leave the store. I was going to go home but at the last minute decided to go to the shop next door, so parked my car again and went in to have a look.

Not long after, I got a phone call from the lady from the supermarket and she told me that she found one out the back of the shop and it was still sealed in the box and looked undamaged. And the you know what the best part was?! She offered to give it to me for nothing!! She said because they had all been sent back and no longer had a code or something, she wouldn't charge me for it.

I was so excited!! I went back to the supermarket (thank goodness I was only next door!) and sure enough, she had one for me.

So, in the end, I got my son his precious fitness band (which, mind you, is pretty good! The digital time and step counter etc lights up and looks just like the real deal) and I got it for nothing1 Funds are pretty tight at the moment so it was a HUGE relief! I was so thankful to that lady in the store. If I had gotten a different person, it most likely would not have worked out that way.

And in a weird way, I felt like God or my higher power or something, was looking out for me. I know He has much better things to do than find me free fitness bands, but I don't know, I could just feel Him somehow. So I'm going with that.

I know this story is not sobriety related, and that my 7 month post didn't go into my deep and meaningful reasons why I'm grateful to be sober, but I just felt like sharing that story. It made me feel good.

So yes, 7 months!!

A x


20 comments:

  1. What a great story! I'm so happy that you were able to make your son happy!! What a great gift you gave on your 7 month soberversary!!! Congratulations!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sa53, I love making my son happy, which then makes me happy, so it was a win win. A x

      Delete
  2. Lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SNL. I felt like writing about something positive as I've been feeling down lately. A x

      Delete
  3. Seven months is a really big deal. And it shows that you are much stronger than you think. Glad you son got his fitness band! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ripley. Do you really think I am strong? I don't feel strong at all. But hopefully my strength will blossom and grow. I hope so anyway. A x

      Delete
  4. I love the story!! Gorgeous. And so many congrats on making 7 months, that's awesome Angie. Red xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Red. I'm very proud of myself for getting to 7 months. I never believed I could do it yet here I am. Sobriety rocks! A x

      Delete
  5. I think this lovely story has everything to do with you being sober - had you still been drinking, would it have happened? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what Lou? I don't think it would have happened had I been still drinking. I here in meetings that being sober opens so many doors. I am going to wait for the magic to happen. A x

      Delete
  6. Huge huge congratulations on seven months!! And what a great story! Isn't it nice how sometimes the universe gives us a good thing right when we could use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SamKD, yes, the universe was on my side yesterday that's for sure. I truly believe my higher power was there with me and made it happen. It makes me so happy knowing that. A x

      Delete
  7. Yes, love free stuff. A huge congratulations on 7 months. You sure are on the path, a long way down it too :) PDTG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PDTG, I AM on my path. There is no stopping me now! Hopefully mainly good things will happen for me now. Bring on another sober day! A x

      Delete
  8. Angie!
    I love you so much!
    You made me cry!
    You have worked so hard on your sobriety, and look how far you have come!
    I see you blossoming right before my very eyes!!
    I am so darn proud of you!!
    xoxoxo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I love you too! I proud of me too, even if there is still so much I need to work on. Hopefully I will get there. A x

      Delete
  9. I think that is good karma coming back to you Angie. You are so generous with your time and comments that you have put so much positivity into the soberverse, this is some of the hood coming back for you. I am delighted
    This happened and there was definitely some synchronicity going on there. Well done on 7 months, you are awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger, that is lovely of you to say. The soberverse is an awesome place and I definitely wouldn't be here today and 7 months sober without you all. You are all so special to me. A x

      Delete
  10. That was a wonderful post, thanks for sharing. 7 months, wow! You have been an inspiration to me through this process and still are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HD. It's amazing to think we are all helping each other even though we have never met IRL! A x

      Delete