Friday 8 January 2016

Dinner with friends. And my new addiction!

Day 47. Feeling a bit tired to day. It's because I stayed up till about 1.30am!! The reason for that is the little guy has been struggling to go to sleep on time and staying awake until well after 10, and even 11pm which, was the case last night. And because it's the school holidays you don't worry so much,, but it means that it's pretty late by the time he's asleep. So when I finally sit down to watch my show on tv (currently it's a show called Nashville. It's BRILLIANT!! It's on Netflix if you're interested) it's really late. Then OH will go to bed at around midnight or after so it's even later before I get a chance to check out my blogs. I know I should just go to bed after my show finishes, but hey! I've always been a bit of a night owl. Not drinking doesn't seem to be changing that!

Last night we went out to dinner with my friend C, her OH and their little guy. We had a lovely evening. They saw my diet coke and asked me if I'm still off the booze, and when I said yes they didn't mention it again. They had a few drinks over the course of the evening and we had a great time. It didn't bother me at all that I wasn't drinking. If I ever think a glass of wine would be nice I just remind myself what would aqually happen after having that 'glass' of wine. Because we all know that it's never just 'a' glass of wine. And playing it forward seems to be working for me. It takes the romance of that glass away. I need to constantly remind myself that I can no longer have a glass of wine. That I'm not a normal drinker and never will be. And I think it's slowly beginning to sink in.

I have a new addiction though. Although it's not really new. It's chocolate!! I just don't have an off switch! I made some chocolate chip chocolate muffins yesterday and straight away I ate 4 of them!!! (They are actually cupcake size though so I tried to convince myself it wasn't so bad. Actual muffins are much bigger) And by the end of the day I'd had 6 all together! (blushes with embarrassment!) Why can't I enjoy just one and then stop? Like 'normal' people? And soon I'll start to think it'll be better when they're all gone so I can't eat them any more which will give me a perfectly good reason to finish the rest of them! And then I will complain about my weight! It's so frustrating!  Any suggestions?

It was interesting at dinner last night. My friend C was talking about wanting to cut down on her drinking, about how easy it is to drink a bottle of wine a night. I wanted to tell her that I have some great books she could borrow, but I didn't. Because even though she sometimes talks about cutting down, she also says how drinking 'relaxes' her and I don't think she's anywhere near admitting she has a drinking problem (and she may not. I could just be making an assumption here). Still, I hope she sees me not drinking and still having a good time and learns something from it. Maybe one day I will tell her I have some great books she can read when she's ready. We'll see...

I'm off to the shops with the little guy today. I want to try and get a pedicure so my toes are nice and summer ready for my operation (because having painted toenails when you are lying on the operating table is essential!) I've decided to get the shellac polish because they will last for the rest of the school holidays (of which there are only about 3 weeks left!!) Also, it's a little treat for myself for getting to 47 days sober. I forget to give myself treats, so I thought I may as well start today.

Have a great day everyone :)

A x





14 comments:

  1. Lovely. Summer. Sigh. We are in the depths of winter here.
    But I'm going to florida next week, thank god. I miss the sun.

    My advice, enjoy the chocolate. Recognize it is a treat. The novelty will wear off and you will revert back to normal eating.

    That's what happened to me. My diet is much more relaxed now, but I eat pretty well and enjoy my sweets. Guilt free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is I'm on day 48. When will the novelty wear off?! Plus, I've kind of always been like this!! Maybe it's hormones or something? A x

      Delete
  2. HI Angie!
    I always laugh when you write about summer, as it is snowing as I write this, and temps will be dropping to below zero.
    So it sounds so lovely!
    So do chocolate chip muffins!
    I don't make cookies and muffins anymore, because I am the one who eats all of it, and hubs gets maybe one!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I might have to be the same. Just not make them to begin with. Why can't I have just one?! Sounds familiar huh?!
      I lived in Norway when I was young and loved the snow. I would love to go back and experience it again! A x

      Delete
  3. Honestly, my husband ate chocolate for a year.
    48 days is still really early. Stick with the chocolate.
    Just start noticing when you want it and what it's fulfilling.
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea Anne. I've always been a bit addicted to chocolate though. Hopefully the cravings will pass one of these days!. In the meantime, I will just enjoy it! A x

      Delete
  4. well done angie, you are going really well. thinking it thru all the way really works well. i have started doing that too, had a big day out yesterday at funfair and pizza with kids and glass wine with hubby after seemed very tempting but i thought it all the way thru like you did. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kats. And well done you too! That first glass always looks so tempting but it's never just the one with us, that's obviously the problem! A x

      Delete
  5. I've been quietly reading your posts for a while now. You sound a lot like me. I don't have the courage to go alcohol free for as long as you just yet. You are doing so well!!! You have inspired me to start my own blog about this journey that so many of us share. It helps us to read your story and it helps me to write my story. Thank you. Ripley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ripley, lovely to hear from you. My blog has really helped me, I hope yours helps you too. I will add yours to my blog list. Keep going with your journey. You can do this. A x

      Delete
  6. I've been quietly reading as well, yours and many others. It is so amazing to know I am not alone! I've never joined in the conversation but I've been reading many of the blogs for over a year. I went about 9 months in 2014-2015 AF. Tomorrow will be my 5th day 1 in 2016. I want it to be the last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimm. When I first started on this journey I was blown away when I discovered sober blogs and realised that I wasn't the only one with this problem. It helps so much to know that I am not alone. 9 months is awesome! You can do this again. I am here for you if you need to chat, my email is angiem2801@gmail.com. A x

      Delete
  7. Hey, haven't heard from you for a while. Just wondering how you are doing. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Time, I am still here! I am doing well. I am going to post today so I will fill you in there. Hope you are ok. A x

      Delete