Thursday 26 November 2015

Fighting my way back

It's been a long time between posts. You can guess why.

After 102 days alcohol free I decided that I could drink again. I could go on about how I thought I could moderate after having some sober time under my belt and knowing how good it felt to be hangover free, about how I thought I could manage just one or two drinks instead of the usual bottle, how I might suddenly have an off switch after decades of not having one, but what would be the point? In the end, I succumbed to the wine witch. I guess a part of me doesn't want to admit that, because hey, I'm not an alcoholic right? I just drink too much.  Lots of people do. But it's time to face facts and be really honest. Labels don't matter. I just know that I can't go on like this. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I've just had enough. Normal people don't drink a bottle of wine a night. They just don't. They don't feel hungover every morning and live unproductive lives. They don't complain about their lives because they are miserable and it being not fair and yet not doing anything about it. Only I can change my destiny and the first way of doing that is to put down the wine glass.

I know I've been here before. When you feel this miserable it's easy to feel motivated and determined and even to get a month or so of sober time under your belt. It's the staying stopped that I have trouble with. The forever bit. But this time I'm not going to dwell on that. I can't. I just know that I need to stop. Otherwise nothing is going to change and I'm going to be miserable for the rest of my life.

So I've signed up to do Belle's 100 day challenge again. Today is day 4 and I am really tired because I haven't been sleeping well without the wine, but I don't care. I just want to get through these first few difficult days and weeks and start to feel better again. I felt so good last time I did the challenge. So stupid to start drinking again.

It's going to be harder this time with Christmas and New Year's around the corner, not to mention the celebrations leading up to it. But I have to be strong. I need to do this.

After finishing my 100 day challenge last time, I managed 102 days. But my mistake was not signing up to more days. So as I said before, I really thought I might be able to moderate this time. And I started off ok. I drank for a few days then had 3 alcohol free days and managed this routine for two weeks. But that's all. I have been drinking EVERY SINGLE DAY since early September. So, if I am ever stupid enough to think I can moderate again I just have to remind myself of this. I cannot moderate. It's just not possible.

I told my husband that I was thinking of doing 100 days again. And I even warned my friend C who likes to drink too. We went to a fancy ball last week and I not so jokingly said to her beforehand that I might have to detox after it was all over. Just so she won't be too surprised when I tell her that I'm doing this again.

I'm back reading my sober memoirs. I recently finished 'Blackout' by Sarah Hepola which was excellent. And I'm currently reading 'Bottled: A mom's guide to early recovery' by Dana Bowman which I'm really enjoying. I have been reading all your blogs too btw way and I'm sorry I haven't been commenting, but I just felt too ashamed. But not anymore. It's time to be really honest with myself. I want to try and get to a meeting one of these days.

So, here I am on day 4. And so relieved to be here. I just hope I can keep going.

A x




16 comments:

  1. Angie!
    You never have to feel ashamed.
    It's the nature of addiction.
    I am so glad you are trying again.
    You were such a great support for me!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, you are so kind. I am so glad to be back. It's early day but I'm hoping to get some momentum going. I hate these first early days but there is not much I can do about them! So I will hang in there. A x

      Delete
  2. Another day 4 here as well. Never feel ashamed! Look at me, I am all over the place. Constantly. I am so glad you are back to blogging. I missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Time, you are on the same day as me! Let's do this together. I am glad to be back to blogging too. I missed you all. A x

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you are back.
    In some ways I think the set day challenges are dangerous. It's like counting down to something. When in reality it is gaining time away from something.
    But I have never like counting days, so maybe it is just me.

    When we take things one day at a time, and resolve to live that day in a way that makes us happy, from a place of self love and compassion, the sober days ads up not just painlessly, but joyously.

    I'm with you all the way!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Anne, I know what you mean about the challenges. They do have an end date and that was my undoing. But just making a pledge for 100 days seems to help me so I will get through these months (hopefullly!) and then try and keep going. One day at a time is good, but I am impatient to be further along! These early days are difficult. But I will push through and will hopefully get to the other side. A x

      Delete
  4. I'm reading This Naked Mind and loving it. Free for kindle (http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Naked-Mind-Rediscover-Happiness-y/dp/0996715002).
    SO x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SO, I will check it out. I am nearly finished Bottled so will be looking for a new book to read. Thanks. A x

      Delete
  5. Never be ashamed! I agree with Anne, I tried challenges before - Sober October etc, plus all the "challenges" I set myself, and I found that I only ever focused on the 'end" of the challenge - when I could drink again. So my mindset was never about really just being without booze and enjoying what it was all about. Also, I just kidded myself 'If I can go for a week/fortnight/month without booze, I can't possibly have a problem". Which simply wasn't true. Welcome back. The sober blogging world helps me everyday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi WB, thanks for the advice. At the moment 100 days feels like forever but I know the days will pass and I will be back to where I was before. So I have to be vigilant and really work at this. Love your vlog by the way! A x

      Delete
  6. Yay! Angie! I've missed you. So good to have you back. We've all done the 'perhaps now I can moderate' thing. No need to be ashamed. I think it's impossible to quit for good until we TRULY believe that moderation isn't possible (or fun!). And forget the word 'alcoholic' - it's a red herring. I don't think I am an alcoholic BUT I am addicted to alcohol, which means I can't ever 'just have one.' Huge hugs brave and wise friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SM, it feels good to be back. Can't believe all you've been through since I've been away. I have been thinking of you and am so glad that you are ok. And you are amazingly strong not to have had a drink!! Yes, I am addicted to alcohol and the semantics don't matter. Now i just have to get on with it. Thanks for the hugs. A x

      Delete
  7. I read naked. I think you will like it and it will keep momentum going. I have drank a handful of times on holidays during this year. Now I chose not to. I am so happy and content without alcohol. Counting days did my head in after a while which is funny as I am very goal driven but just being a non drinker is enough for me now and all I gain from it. Honestly I just cannot waste another second being miserable because of how it makes me feel. I am so glad you are back. I hope you are ok and have a lovely weekend Kats xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kats, thanks for that, I will check it out. You are doing so well. I hope I can too. Counting days works for me for now, but hopefully as I get further along it won't matter so much. I have to remind myself how miserable I felt when I was drinking and not forget!! You have a lovely weekend too. A x

      Delete
  8. I just found your blog today, and we're so much alike! I've been wine-free for 6 weeks now, and I've already caught myself thinking that perhaps I could moderate now. Your story reminds me that this really isn't possible for me. I'll be following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi DobieGirl, I was amazed to find the world of sober blogs. I thought t was the only one with this shameful secret. It is so helpful knowing I'm not alone and blogging helps me. Even though I've relapsed several times I learn something knew each time. Maybe one of these days it will sink in that I can't moderate!! Do you have a blog? A x

    ReplyDelete