Monday 11 July 2016

Back from holidays

I'm back after two weeks in the country. The little guy went back to school today and now I can get back into my routine again. I'm off to a meeting today, which I am looking forward to.

So, as predicted the start of the holiday started off with drama!

Mr A was very anxious and when he's like that he lashes out at me and the little guy. I actually told him that I know he was stressed but he can't be talking to us like that. He apologised later, but gosh it's hard to live with someone like that! It's like walking on egg shells!

It wasn't until we were 2 1/2 hours into the 5 hour trip that the little guy realised we were driving to grandma's house and not the beach house like he had thought. He was SO excited!! it was definitely worth surprising him! And mum and my brothers and their boys were really happy to see us too. It was wonderful!

Unfortunately, the little guys medical condition got worse despite the antibiotics, and we had to take him to the local hospital on the Tuesday night. There wasn't anything they could do though, as there was only a GP on call (it's a very small country town) so we drove down to a bigger hospital the next day an hour and half away. After a long wait we were seen by the paediatric surgeon and she diagnosed a medical condition called BXO (Balanitis Xerotica Obliterans) and he had to have an emergency operation. Thankfully, the surgery went well and we were able to drive back to mum's house again that night, so we were able to finish our two week holiday. We had thought we would have to drive back to Melbourne and go the the Royal Children's Hospital and have a heap of investigations! So we lucked out on seeing the paediatric surgeon, she was wonderful.

So, a dramatic start to the holiday! But it ended well, and we had a lovely time relaxing with my family. Because the little guy had to take it easy and could not run around, it was a good excuse to relax and do nothing!!

I started taking the anti-depressants on that first Monday. Thankfully I haven't had any side effects, other than tiredness, and I think they are starting to work a little bit. I will have to make an appointment to see the therapist soon. I am pretty nervous about it though!

Brother # 2, the one with the drinking problem, did pretty well that first week. He didn't drink for the first 4 days which really surprised me. I didn't get a chance to talk to him like I'd have liked, but I was proud of him for not drinking those few days. Unfortunately, it didn't last and he drank a LOT the last few nights he was there. Hopefully he saw me having fun not drinking and realised that it's possible.

One thing I was really annoyed about was the way mum kept going on about how pleased she was that my brother was really trying, yet she didn't make one single comment about me not drinking. I know I haven't made a big announcement or anything, but I thought she might have said something! Especially given how she used to say I that I drank too much and needed to cut down. Oh well, I can't let it get it to me. I am proud of me!

So, it's back to work tomorrow. I have really enjoyed having a break, it was really getting to me. Hopefully I will be going back with a fresh outlook.

Now I'm off to catch up on all my blogs!

A x


16 comments:

  1. We're proud of you too! Hope your little guy continues to improve xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. Little guy is much improved. A x

      Delete
  2. Sober vacationing rocks. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. yes, it is so much better! A x

      Delete
  3. Glad your trip went pretty well!! Having made it through a family vacation, no, gathering, I get it! Glad the little dude was able to be treated and hope he is pain free in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HD, it was a great holiday despite the stresses! Little guy is much better thanks. A x

      Delete
  4. I am proud of you!!
    I am so glad your little guy is ok!
    That would be a little bit scary.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy, yes it was very scary having him so sick! So relieved he is on the mend. It was so much better handling it all sober! A x

      Delete
  5. Glad you are back. Glad you made it sober. All is good in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Time. It was so much better doing it sober. It would have been a completely different story last year! A x

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear your boy was unwell. Glad he is on the mend. Perhaps your mum didn't mention you not drinking because she's not worried for you now you have stopped. Maybe she is worried for your brother so mentioned his drinking? It would have been nice for her to say something though. I'm sure she is proud of you. PDTG x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PDTG. Maybe you're right about mum. It's just that it is such a big deal to me that I thought it would be for her too (yes, even though I haven't told her!!) I'm sure she is proud of me. A x

      Delete
  7. I'm know you are proud of yourself, and that's the most important thing.
    And I bet your son was really, really glad to have you completely there when he was ill.
    Scary.
    Hug
    I understand your husband. I know change causes me anxiety and I can become quite difficult and ask a million questions. I bet my husband and kids get tired of me too.
    Stupid brain! Lol

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. being present for my son was the best gift I could give him through his illness. I am so grateful for that. My husband doesn't handle stress well. He really needs to see someone or perhaps take medication. I can't talk to him about it though. It's a long story. A x

      Delete
  8. Well done for getting through the holiday stresses, I'm glad your son is doing better. I'm interested to hear how you get on with the antidepressants, hope the tiredness passes. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks IH, sorry I didn't reply to your comment sooner. I am going to do a blog post soon and I will talk about how the medication is going. A x

      Delete